Saturday, July 26, 2003

Helping helps
I missed a couple of posts Sunday and Monday because my car broke down on my way back to Mass. from Maine, and I ended up in a motel for the night with my son Taylor and his girlfriend Emily. Besides the chance to spend the time with them, the other good part of the whole fiasco was the helpfulness of people throughout. One example: the manager of the truck stop where we had broken down sent baking soda and a scrubber from his kitchen to the nearby motel to which we were towed, because he had heard we needed these things for cleaning the battery contacts. I was reminded of a similar situation I had been in eight years earlier, and of the help I'd received then. That time I was so impressed I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper. I think when we help, it sends a wave out into the world that radiates as surely as ripples on a pond.

No comments: